Requirements for Participation
Attend class regularly
- It is necessary to have at least 80% attendance in order to continue taking classes.
- Students must complete the whole course (usually 12 weeks).
- If you are going to be late, sick, or have an emergency, please contact your teacher and/or email our office.
Take a pre-test when entering the program and a post-test when leaving
- If you need to stop attending classes for any reason, talk to your teacher and call the office to schedule a post-test.
- Students who leave the program without taking a post-test will not be permitted to return to LaGuardia Community College Adult Basic Skills Program in the future.
Inform the office if you change your address or telephone number while you are studying or after you leave. We email and text students updates during the semester.
- We will call you about 3 months to 6 months after you leave our program to ask if you have accomplished your goals (improving your job, entering college, etc.)
- We also need this information to tell you about new programs that are starting.
Participate in class, complete homework assignments
- It is important to come to class on time, participate in activities, and complete homework assignments.
- If you are in a class that has 2 teachers, you must attend both sessions of the class, unless you are exempt by the Director.
Respect your fellow classmates and instructors
- All ABS students must show respect for their fellow classmates and for their instructors.
- Inappropriate behavior will be addressed and could result in dismissal from the program.
- NO cellular devises, NO Texting, NO IPADS, allowed to be used in the classroom unless it is a specific part of the lesson. Cell phones need to be turned off or put on vibrate during class.
Request to change schedule
- A Student Request Form needs to be completed with documentation attached and submitted to our office.
- Change of schedule will be approved only for work or other issues that can be documented.
Leave of Absence
- A Leave of Absence will be granted for emergency situations and if a post-test has been administered. Students must complete a Student Request Form.
- Leave of Absence students can re-register for the following semester only, if they are able to return, otherwise you need to re-apply for the program.